Apr 21, 2010

The Treasure of Encouraging Words


Tonight I was feeling a little ( no, a lot) down in the dumps…struggling with a few feelings …I called my best friend and sounding board but she was in the middle of a family game night (definitely did not need to hear my whining) So we agreed to talk tomorrow morning., but now I was feeling more down cause I had no one to listen to me (maybe a good thing )


Well, I was later playing Farmville on FB when I heard a pop and an IM note appeared…..a friend wanted a recipe from me and wanted to thank me for a meal I prepared for her family, etc. The conversation went back and forth and then….. .another note popped up from her that said “you are precious” ….ahhhhh…that comment just washed over my soul and I was smiling ….smiling from the inside out !! I wrote her back that lately I really didn’t feel precious and that her words of encouragement were just what my thirsty soul needed ! Isn’t that so like the Lord…I am sure he had been trying to tell me all along to get out of my doldrums and stop feeling sorry for myself because I am precious in His sight as well…..but since I wasn’t listening too well he sent a messenger to give me His message. And those words of encouragement touched my heart.

Sunday I was talking with a friend who mentioned that she needed to thank some people who send her cards during a recent difficult time in her life and I realized I (who make cards all the time) had not sent her one! I felt really bad about my forgetfulness…..but it wasn’t until I received this encouraging comment tonight hat I realized that what I was feeling was rather self centered …all about me and how I felt… Not about my friend….. who I had not helped with encouraging words, or how she felt.

So, late tonight I am asking myself a question…Do I bring sunshine or gloom with me when I walk into a room? Proverbs 10 :11 says “The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life”.  Am I such a fountain ?? Are you ??

In the morning when we awaken lets ask the Lord to show us the “I spies” for today. We can ask him to help us bring sunshine instead of clouds. May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus (Romans 15:5).

When we converse we make a series of choices about what to talk about, what memories to bring up, and what points to make …Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if any-thing is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things (Philippians 4:8). Lets actually think on these things today !!!

We need to learn to be self-aware….think about what we are saying before we say it. When someone is having difficulties , we should listen and speak with compassion that is real and heartfelt. [God] comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God (2 Corinthians 1:4).

I read a Bible study on this same topic and one of the personal applications at the end was to start an Encouragement Journal. People do “I Spy” Journals and Prayer Journals …which are very good ….but why not do a 6 week “Encouragement” Journal and each day write something encouraging you saw in some one else …..a Godly trait they exhibited that blessed you. Maybe a friend or your spouse or child or even someone you never see many good traits in .

Or you can keep a journal of the people you have encouraged each day ….Plan to be a encouragement to at least one person each day.  WHy not try it with me ??? We can encourage each other as we go along our way.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (Ephesians 4:29).
May our Encouraging Words be truly Tracable, Trustable Treasures

3 comments:

  1. I needed this Patti - God is so wonderful to share this through you. Thank you for opening your trials and sharing what He teaches you.
    Juls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that was great--- so wonderful when we are blessed by God through a friend's voice. I am trying to journal daily with my devotions, and it will be good to actively seek to bless others with an encouragement challenge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Patti!! God works in us and through us...and He gave you something special to share with us. A good reminder of something I need to work on :)

    ReplyDelete