Apr 2, 2010

The Treasure of Rest

       My past three weeks have been pretty busy. It started with the Ladies Retreat, where I for the first time in quite a while stayed up both nights playing games til about 2 am. Not a wise decision for me but a totally fun one !! Between the few jobs I volunteered to do to help with the retreat and the lack of sleep the prior week due to “whatever causes insomnia” I came home in need of rest instead of being rested. Even John admitted he was surprised that I laid down before I began unpacking for once !!


      We headed for St Joseph Hospital where we visited with John’s dad who had been hospitalized for an enflamed pancreas on Thursday and was in a lot of pain. There I got a chance to talk to the family and figure out what they needed me to do to help with transporting John’s mom to the hospital to see dad and then home. Plus going up to spend a day or two with my Mom who is improving but still house bound. I took John’s mom up to visit with my mom for lunch which was a fun day and combined two things for me ! And John and I tried to visit with dad even on the days I didn’t take mom over.

       As you can imagine I didn’t get too much chance to catch up on my rest…..but the Lord was so gracious to me. He provided such good short rest that I have felt GOOD instead of tired. And I know it was only through his mercy and compassion that it came about…..he renewed my strength just like in Isaiah 40:29 says He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength….and v.31 says But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

What a joy it was to be able to minister to John’s dad who has ministered to so many of us on so many different occasions. The Lord gave us the wonderful privilege and opportunity to read scripture to him, to pray with him and to talk with him.

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain .

To be able to “rest” in the Lord is truly a Traceable, Trustable Treasure.

Psalm 23 1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment