Jul 14, 2010

The Treasure of God's Faithfulness


When I was at the hospital this past week, my sister and I sang together... which we have not done in years!! We sang or our Aunt Barbara and we sang some old favorites like In The Garden, Blessed Assurance, The Love of God, The Old Rugged Cross, There's a Sweet Sweet Spirit, How Great Thou Art and Great is Thy Faithfulness….What a joy !!  But I have to be honest, there were a number of them that I had trouble singing without getting a bit overwhelmed ….not only because of what they mean to me, but what I could see they meant to my aunt.  With her eyes closed and hand slightly raised I knew the words to these old hymns were touching her heart and drawing her into communion with her Lord and Saviour.

We sang the first verse of Great is thy Faithfulness…then sang (or tried to sing) the third verse…what wonderful words…. Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth…..thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide…Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow …Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside…Great is thy faithfulness, morning by morning new mercies I see,  All I have needed thy hand hath provided…great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.

How she needed (as we all need) to remember that the Lord provides the  strength we can draw on daily.

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble

And what wonderful assurance that he gives us hope….not only hope but bright hope for tomorrow….and peace that endures.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

The promise that His presence will both bring joy and guide us

Psalm 16:11
You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Psalm 37:5
Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass

I thank the Lord for the awesome priviledge of sharing with my aunt who also shared with us…the joy of blessing and being blessed in return….the Lord has it all planned out and in His Sovereignty He provides for his children whom He loves and cares for. He knows just what we need even before we know we need it....Great is Thy Faithfulness…..what a Traceable Trustable Treasure…..Lord unto me!!


2 comments:

  1. What a blessing!!! Love those old lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to the Ocean City Tabernacle last Sunday and a 1/2 hour before the service they have a "hymn-sing"...we sang some of these that you mentioned. What a blessing it was! The words are so reassuring...what a God-given gift to put into words the things we often feel. Sounds like you had a precious time with your aunt!

    ReplyDelete