Jan 28, 2010

Evenings by the Sea

A trusted friend wrote on my last blog “ why do we choose to play in mud puddles instead of taking a holiday by the sea ?"  I had already decided that my next blog topic would be about evenings with the Lord…this comment started my hands and heart to going. So lets see where the Lord leads us together.....possibly by the sea ?? 

I don’t know about you, but I love being at the waterfront. It can be a lake or river or best of all, the ocean. I actually took the above picture when we were in Hawaii with our friends, the Rizzutos. It was as beautiful as it looks, and I couldn’t help but feel God’s presence all around me. Our day had been very rushed…..driving and walking and sight seeing. But with the evening came a time to sit and relax and reflect; to even play a game or just talk together and enjoy sweet fellowship . A perfect ending to a busy, busy day. The Lord and His disciples often left the hustle of the city for the seaside or the mts in the evening.
John 6:16 When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake Luke 21:37  Each day Jesus was teaching at the temple, and each evening he went out to spend the night on the hill called the Mount of Olives
And it is a perfect time to reflect back on all the Lord had done for us that day…to remember the blessings and the “I Spies” of that day…

1 Chronicles 16:12  Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced
To repent for the moments I willing spent in the mud puddles and the times when I may have actually slung it !

Psalm17:3  You have tried my heart, you have visited me by night, you have tested me..

A time to set the record straight and a time to purge our hearts


Psalm 139:23  Search me O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!

May our sleep be sweet and we may awaken with a heart that is eager and ready to search for the “Treasures of the Morning”…….Traceable, Trustable Treasures

7 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Mom. We do settle for not enough of the true treasures of the Lord, when He is so willing and ready to give us so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pic from Hawaii Patti! Thanks for sharing your thoughts today! Psalm 139:23 is one of MY FAVORTIES I go to all the time! Isn't HE wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy and Sherry ...Thanks for the encouragement....I just loved the analogy Mel gave me of mud puddles and a holday by the sea....you can just see it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful- CS Lewis gave me that word picture- it really speaks to me so clearly! I so need to work on spending more time, choosing that time in the evening... how blessed I would be in my marriage if I made that more of a gentle suggestion! TV? Internet? Books? All this will burn as hay and stubble; what will be left? Those treasure of time with Him- beautifully written!!!! Thanks for those thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking how your thoughts remind me that the morning and the evening are like bookends to my days. When I don't keep an eye on them and make sure they are tended to, everything in between them falls down. And it is so much harder to pick them back up and get them standing again. It's only by His grace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Wendy that is a really a good and applicable illustration...ever think of blogging ?? You can share my space any day you want !!
    Gives pause to think how in Genesis God created light and called it day and it was good and then he separated the light from the darkness and called it night! And the morning and evening were one day....both working together God's way....Isn't He marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember you taking this picture. The picture doesn't capture the true beauty of the night and His creation.

    ReplyDelete