Feb 8, 2010

the Treasure of Friendship

In facebook everyone has a million (well maybe not quite that many) friends. There is an old Jewish saying that goes He (she)who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure!!

Since we are interested in finding treasures maybe we had better stop and analyze this statement. We had better examine it in the light of God’s Word…..
What makes a friend a faithful friend and why would they be so treasured??

Lets take a look at an example of 2 faithful friends…..Jonathan and David…..talk about a friend who sticks beside you ! They were what we would call kindred spirits…….
I Sam 18 :1, 3 says “The soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own life. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself”…
Sounds like a friend I would like to have and one that I would hope to be !!
Later in Chapter 23 we will find, when Jonathan’s own father is pursuing David,

1 Sam 23:16 "Jonathan went to find David and encouraged him to stay strong in his faith in God."
He did not only go to give his friend his support but to encourage him to
 Be strong in the Lord and the power of his might (Eph 6:10). The friendship of David and Jonathan was the direct effect of the power of God’s divine grace. His Spirit produced in them united hearts, and caused them to love each other.….When God unites friend’s hearts, carnal matters are too weak to separate them. And if we are honest, it is always carnal matters that separate us from one another and from Him. Oh that our friendships can rise above carnal matters! Truthfully, the only way we can accomplish this is thru the power of the Spirit of God.

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." John 15:9-12  
As the Father loved Christ, so Jesus loved his disciples. As our love for the Savour continues to grow, we should take all occasions to show that love to one another…The joy of the carnally minded is but for a moment, but the joy of those whose friendship abides in Christ's love is continual. And we are to show our love to Him by keeping His commandments. It is that same power, that first shed abroad the love of Christ in our hearts, which will direct us in how to love each other.

He didn’t leave us alone to figure it out, He gave us His commandments (His Word) and His example, as well as other examples like David and Jonathan. Thus we find what the Lord says is a faithful friend.…I don’t know about you, but, I know I want to have and, through God’s power, to be such a friend…such a Traceable Trustable Treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment