Feb 21, 2010

the Treasure of Time...part 2

February is a very special month to me. Not only is it the “Snow and Blizzard ”month…It is the month when both of my parents were born back in the 1920s. There birthdays are only 2 days apart which makes remembering and celebrating a lot easier. ( remembering and celebrating their birthdays, that is not remembering and celebrating them as my parents!)

I remember when I was little thinking my parents could do anything !! In the physical sense, they were my creator, provider, lawgiver, teacher, and protector—and sometimes even savior. In God’s eyes they stood in the gap, bearing the awesome responsibility of teaching me, and Davis, and Fran and John. And they taught us diligently about Him; and about His Word…That was one thing both of my parents were firm about~their love for the Lord Jesus Christ and an urgent need to spread the message of His Kingdom.

Life and Wisdom began at home …and in my parent’s home, God’s way was the way of the house, If there were are questions about what you could do…you needed only to check out God’s Word, and follow what He said to do. Our home was the primary and most vital factor in our development into a mature and stable Christians. My parents taught and continue to teach us by example….only now the “us” doesn’t just include my 3 siblings….it also includes 12 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren .

It was important to my dad that we learn to be faithful stewards of the talents the Lord had given us. In all to do our very best giving Christ the glory and credit. My mom always said that if you had nothing to say that was encouraging and uplifting…. then you had nothing to say. And she always encouraged us to speak positively of our other siblings, learning to appreciate the talents the Lord had given to them. And I do, even at age 60, greatly respect and appreciate each of my brothers and sister. (but that can be for another day’s topic!)



My parents worked with youth all their lives and we always had “kids” in our house. They worked in Christian Service Brigade and Pioneer Girls and Youth for Christ and Teen Missions, along with local churches in California, New York and Maryland. They loved teens with the Love of the Lord and the teens loved them back! In fact many FB users have contacted my mom and wished her well after her fall this winter.


This wasn’t meant as a biography of my parents but an overview to honor them on their birthday week… a moment in time , a break in the day, when I stop and say Thanks!!
Thanks to them for loving and raising me in the fear and admonition of the Lord
And Thanks to the Lord for blessing me with them and this precious time we have together.  Thanks for these Traceable, Trustable Treasures....my parents!


Phil 1:3-6 I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing and legacy... I pray I can be a parent like yours were. They are gems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to Grandma and Grandpa McCurley. Isn't it a blessing how the Lord has brought together our families, throughout the course of history and the world? Such a legacy to pass onto our children...a blessing to have godly grandparents!

    ReplyDelete