Feb 11, 2010

Treasures through the door

This is THE wrong side of the door to be on when you are a cat and there is 3 ft of snow out there... but hey, he wanted to go out !!


Isn’t this a picture of us many times….we want to go out, but when we get there, there is 3 feet of snow and we want back in “now”. Lord, teach us to wait on you in our comings and goings, our wants and requests, our ins and outs.

I can just see myself sitting at the door looking into the warmth of a fireplace and my food and water bowl, my family…..not to mention my toys and my bed. All those good things and more….inside !! What am I doing out here?? Well, it seems I wanted to go out… out into the freedom and excitement or maybe the new and different…only to find as did the Prodical son, that what I wanted wasn’t really what I wanted or needed !! God had another plan…a better plan… and once again I had not waited on the Lord. I had foolishly run ahead of Him and now, I was where I didn’t want to be, looking in the door.

What treasures can I gleam and share with you as I sit outside at the door looking in….
1.Wait on the Lord…..He is often doing a work on and in us during the waiting…
He may be making His desires our reality or He may be changing our desires to fit His will.

        Psalm 37:7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
        Psalm 38:15 I wait for you, O LORD; you will answer, O Lord my God.
   
Heb 13:21 that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever

2. God will work everything out…to His honor and His glory and for our good… His job is not to conform to our wants; and our job is not to run ahead of Him and to go our own way
Psalm 16:4 The LORD works out everything for his own ends
Ephesians 1:11-12 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.

3. We need to learn to be content where the Lord has placed us…..and for the time He has placed us there.
Philippians 4:12-13  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.
Well, I do believe my Master is coming to the door to let me in…..how thankful I am for His loving kindness, His faithfulness, and His mercy. But, what treasures I learned sitting at that door…..what Traceable, Trustable Treasures !

PS Thanks to Julie Ford whose picture of her cat at the door I used and it was the Lord’s inspiration for this blog !

3 comments:

  1. Wow, it is so hard to do those 3 things sometimes! Those are GREAT verses to have up and around the house for times where it is more waiting than DOING or EXPERIENCING....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto to Mel's comment....it is hard at times when we can't understand His purposes. It's all in His time and in His way...everyday is a new chance to learn this lesson. Thanks for sharing Patti :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand amazed at the things the Lord has used to teach me...He is always ready to teach us, if we are ready to listen. And somedays I am more ready than other days.
    I think #1 hit me the hardest..esp that He might be making His desires our reality or He may be changing our desires to fit His will.....not just answering the situation....but maybe re-writing it.

    ReplyDelete